Make A Difference
Positive Strides relies heavily on volunteers to support programs and community outreach. This takes many different forms: from hands-on during sessions, to promoting Positive Strides at local events, to organizing and running fundraising efforts. We wouldn’t be able to operate and grow without the help and dedication of our volunteers.
We are looking for a diverse group of volunteers who are dependable and good-natured. Training is provided. No prior experience is required. Minimum age is 14 years old.
- Horse Lead: Responsible for the care of the horse before, during and after the session. This includes grooming, tacking and warming up. Horse leaders help ensure the safety of the horse and rider during lessons.
- Side-walker: Responsible for the safety of the rider. Walks beside the horse in lessons and offers physical and emotional support to the rider. Side walkers help riders reach their lesson goals.
- Horse Resource Person: Oversees the need of the horses between lessons. Provides water, monitors aisle way, assists with tack and tack cleaning.
- Reception Area Resource Person: Greets riders, monitors sign-in, helps fit riders with helmets, boots and belts, answers phone and keeps the area tidy.
- Equine Learning Assistant: Helps instructor during group sessions. Sets up ring, crafts activities, encourages and mentors participants.
- Barn Volunteer: Works with Equine Manager to assist with horse care and barn chores.
- Office Volunteer: Assists staff and board members with general office support such as data entry and filing.
- Special Events Volunteer: Serves on event committees and assists with fundraising and community outreach events.
- Special Skills Volunteer: Provides expertise in photography, computer, grant writing, marketing, public relations, etc.
Join Our Youth Program
Today’s youth participate in community service for a variety of reasons: school requirements, club participation, college resume building and a simple desire to do good in the community. There are numerous benefits for youth to volunteer at Positive Strides:
If you are between the ages of 14 and 24 years, consider joining our youth volunteer program. Apply below.
Getting started is as easy as 1-2-3:
For more information or to observe our programs, call 443.239.4953.
Volunteers select the day and time period, morning or afternoon, which best fits their schedule. Sessions typically run on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday at:
Timber Grove Farm
6292 Statum Road
Preston, MD 21655 (map)
© 2023 Positive Strides, Inc.